Friday, February 13, 2015

DIY Luscious Lip Balm

“Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication” – Leonardo Da Vinci

I’ve experimented with many lip balm recipes in my DIY years. The one I find that works best, one blend of 3 base ingredients. It is so simple, yet offers itself to a multitude of variations.

My most recent concoction was a blend of Beeswax, Grapeseed Oil and Argan Butter. Argan Butter is a new ingredient for me and I wanted to test its ability to hold up in my favorite recipe. The consistency is luxurious! Blending Argan Oil and Shea Butter I found the scent was so clean that I opted to not use any essential oils.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp Beeswax
1 Tbsp Body Butter (Argan, Cocoa, Mango, Shea)
1 Tbsp Carrier Oil (Coconut, Grapeseed, Sweet Almond…)
8-10 Drops Essential Oil(s), if desired


Preparation: Grate or coarsely chop the beeswax. Place beeswax, butter, and oil in a small glass bowl or measuring cup and gently heat in the top of a double boiler until melted. Once melted, remove from the stovetop and add essential oils. Immediately - and carefully - pour the mixture into lip balm containers.You can purchase lip balm tubes and containers online or reuse glass jars. Allow to cool completely before placing caps onto the containers. Yields 6-8 lip balm tubes.

-Nancy Mayne, Director of Wellness