Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Staff Picks for January 2015

Hair Care Favorite

Earth Science Hair Masque with olive and avocado oils is perfect for any hair type. With the colder winter days, it is important to remember to maintain those healthy locks. The dry, bitter cold air can be too harsh on hair, especially when wet. So remembering to deep treat those splitting ends will help in the long run.

For someone with oily hair, I struggle terribly with finding a product for my hair that works with my hair type. This product leaves my hair feeling smooth, protects my ends from stripping, and tames fly-aways.

You can use this as an every other day ritual, or like I do, as a treatment 1 to 2 times per week. I often recommend this product to customers and friends who are searching for that awesome hair product to amp up their hair care routine.

-CJ LaRose, Supervisor



Cold and Flu Support

Andrographis is an Indian Ayurvedic herb used for centuries to help with immune boosting, inflammation and respiratory infections. This is one of my personal favorites for the cold and flu season. At the first signs of a cold or cough, just one capsule a day of Nature’s Plus Andrographis seems to help shorten the duration and lessen symptoms. Bronchitis is a thing of the past for our family!

-Mona Claypoole, Director of Marketing and Wellness Support




Too Good to Be True

New to The Healthy Grocer this month is one of the most satisfyingly healthy snacks I have ever encountered! “Hi I’m Skinny Sticks” has a line of whole grain based snack sticks made with all natural ingredients, real vegetables and contain no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors. What more could you ask for? Personally, I would ask if these vegan, non-GMO, too-good-to-be-true snacks were also calorie free. Though they are not calorie free, they are very low in calories and fat with only 120 calories and 6g fat per serving. Victory!

I encourage everyone to treat themselves to one, or all, of the Skinny Stick snacks which come in Sweet Potato, Veggie Tortilla and Sweet Onion flavors. They are crunchy, flavorful and healthy all at the same time. You will not be disappointed!

-Paige Alexander, Assistant Buyer



Happy Juicing

As part of the produce team here at The Healthy Grocer, I’ve learned a lot of different things. One thing that has really stuck with me these past few years is juicing. It’s become a part of my daily routine. I always have customers asking for new ideas for their juice. Recently I have tried something new, the Hamlin orange.

When juicing, I love to add oranges. The Hamlin orange has a wonderful amount of juice and great flavor. It’s perfect to add to green juice, to give you that added Vitamin C or just to help mask those strong green flavors.

It’s definitely something I will keep around for my juicing routine and I recommend trying for any type of juice.

Also, remember, when juicing it’s best to let your citrus reach room temperature to get the most amount of juice!  Happy juicing!

-Kendle Zufall, Produce Manager



Delicious Deli Cookies

After the parties and hubbub of the holiday season, there’s nothing nicer than to slow down, take it easy and enjoy curling up at home with a steaming mug of hot cocoa and a tasty cookie. One of my favorites, our Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, would play an excellent role in such a cozy scenario. These cookies are made without dairy (they do have eggs, so unfortunately they aren’t vegan) and also use gluten-free rolled oats and fresh-ground peanut butter made here in our store. Deliciously dense and chewy, they’re reminiscent of classic winter comfort food and are perfect for dunking. They also keep well in a sealed container and stay fresh-tasting for days. Give yourself the gift of a peanut-buttery, chocolate moment!

-Victoria Brobst, Baker