Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pick of the Month with The Healthy Grocer staff

Pick of the Month for The Healthy Deli with Baker, Victoria
Spring is finally in full swing and I find that, out of all the delicious smoothies that we have to offer at the deli counter, nothing celebrates the sunshine quite like my favorite: Beet the Heat. Our Beet the Heat smoothie is a sweet and spicy blend of red beet, pomegranate and apple juices; rice milk; bananas and ginger. I'm kind of crazy about ginger, so I like to make mine with extra kick! If you haven't yet tried this scrumptious concoction, I recommend giving it a whirl today. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Beet the Heat becomes your favorite smoothie, too!

Pick of the Month for Food with Assistant Buyer, Paige
“NEAT” is not only the name of my Pick of the Month product, but was also my reaction after reading the ingredients, hearing the background story on its origins, and tasting this deliciously simple creation. Not only is this product a wonderful meat substitute, but it is also gluten free and soy free! Pecans, garbanzo beans, gluten free whole grain oats, and various seasonings are blended to create the Original, Italian, and Mexican mixes. You simply add water and eggs (or egg substitute) and mix to form patties or meatballs, or should I say NEATballs.  Finally we have found the Holy Grail- an easy, healthy replacement for meat that appeals to vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters alike.
Recently, I have been attempting to eat vegan as much as possible. After many failed attempts with other meat substitutes and feeding many unsalvageable dinners to my dog, I was elated when I heard we were bringing NEAT into The Healthy Grocer. This has been the best tasting and most nutritious source of protein I have discovered thus far. So, if you barbeque with friends or family over the summer, I entice you to introduce everyone to these NEAT products. Just don’t be alarmed if you find your friends licking their plates by the end of the night and asking for thirds, maybe fourths.

Pick of the Month for Personal Care with Supervisor, CJ
I always used a body butter combo – typically shea or cocoa with coconut and olive oils, but now I use straight shea butter. It really softens up skin and helps heal dry, cracked skin from the harshness of winter. With sandal season just around the corner, what better way to prep those feet! Simply rub on dry areas just as you would lotion. My pick is Lifeflo Shea Butter.
Shea butter comes from the shea nut from the Shea tree – these trees are found in Africa where they are still harvested the old fashioned way. Shea is extracted from the fruit of this tree by crushing it and then boiling it – this process opens up the nut inside the fruit! This process can take over ten hours to produce even one cup of shea butter. Shea butter is often called “Women’s Gold” in many parts of Africa. I chose shea butter primarily because I was making lotion bars and it was an ingredient. I fell in love with the silky texture and the warm and inviting aroma of it. I will gladly recommend shea butter to any customer or friend who needs a little skin TLC.