Tuesday, March 25, 2014

How Do We Support Our Skin Through the Aging Process?

Wrinkles and sagging skin are prominent signs of aging. We have three layers of skin.  The epidermis is the outer layer, this is the layer you can touch and see. The dermis is the middle layer of skin, made up of mostly protein called collagen and elastin which give the skin strength and texture.The subcutaneous layer is the third layer and is made up of fat and collagen cells. It guards the underlying muscles, bones, ligaments and protects your internal organs from injury.If tissue in this layer begins to deteriorate, your skin may start to sag.

The skin located under the eyes and around the eyelids is the thinnest skin in the body at 0.5 mm thick, and is one of the first areas to show signs of aging such as "crows feet" and wrinkles.

Collagen is the primary component of connective tissue. Connective tissue is a network of fibers that provide the framework and structure of skin leading to firmness, suppleness and constant renewal of skin cells. 90% of all Collagen in the body is found in skin, tendons, ligaments, arteries, bones and teeth. Collagen is vital for elasticity. So….as you age, collagen production slows down, the degradation of collagen begins which leads to wrinkles, sagging skin, stiff joints due to loss or elasticity, limp hair, thinner skin that damages more easily. This causes you to not just look old, but feel old too.

There are cosmetic procedures that can reverse this problem, but they’re all pretty invasive and require weeks of recovery time. Now, there are ways to obtain tighter and younger-looking skin without having to undergo cosmetic surgery. One of them is opting for nutritional support.

Collagen is essential for beautiful skin, hair and nails as well as healthy bones and joints.  Collagen “plumps out” skin, removing fine lines and wrinkles and preventing them from forming.

A colleague gave me a sample bottle of Natural Factors Biosil. We have educational trainings for the staff here and when they are here, we get a chance to test their products for ourselves. After all, we need to know if it works when customers ask.

As a bodybuilder, I know the importance of collagen, not just for hair, skin and nails. It is the building block for joint repair. However, like any other woman, I am equally giddy for the sample bottle for my skin care needs.

I’m happy to report I’ve been taking the Biosil regularly for several weeks now and I’m already seeing results! The wrinkles and fine lines are minimized and my skin appears more youthful and supple. Before taking Biosil my nails were cracking, peeling and chipping everyday. Now I have a nice sport-length nail and I don’t need to put anything on to strengthen them. And can I tell you how long my eyelashes have gotten? Bye bye mascara!

Aside from my want to try the product to see the results myself, I was excited to try Biosil because of its ch-OSA Advanced Collagen Generator, and because it is a clinically proven collagen generator that has won numerous awards for 6 straight years (Delicious Living Beauty & Body Award for 2014; Better Nutrition Best of Natural Beauty Awards for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012).

I think I’ll be sticking with Biosil for awhile. After all, when you find something that works for you, why would you stop?


- Mona Claypoole, Director of Marketing and Wellness Support